- Writing Successful Self-Help and How-To Books
"If you follow only a third of Jean?s advice, you?ll have a successful book." --Jeremy Tarcher, Publisher Jeremy P. Tarcher, Inc.
"After Jean reworked my first draft, paperback rights sold for $137,000." --Timmen Cermak, M.D., author of A Time to Heal: The Road to Recovery for Adult Children of Alcoholics
Mastering the craft and understanding the mechanics of writing self-help and how-to books is the key to getting publishers to take notice of your work. Now, in the first guide to writing self-help and how-to books, Jean Stine offers an insider?s view of this growing genre. Her easy-to-follow program takes you step-by-step through the complete writing process. You?ll learn the importance of:
* Structure and Style
* Clear, easy-to-understand exercises
* Creating catchy and compelling titles, subtitles, and chapter headings
* Using lists, charts, and graphs to maximum effect
* Checklists and other interactive elements
* Writing a proposal that sells
* Negotiating permissions for quotations, photos, and illustrations
* Preparing your manuscript for presentation to a publisher
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire
The essential companion to Stieg Larsson?s bestselling trilogy and director David Fincher?s 2011 film adaptation
Stieg Larsson?s bestselling Millennium Trilogy The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet?s Nest is an international phenomenon. These books express Larsson?s lifelong war against injustice, his ethical beliefs, and his deep concern for women?s rights. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy probes the compelling philosophical issues behind the entire trilogy. What philosophies do Lisbeth Salander and Kant have in common? To catch a criminal, can Lisbeth and Mikael be criminals themselves? Can revenge be ethical? Drawing on some of history?s greatest philosophical minds, this book gives fresh insights into Larsson?s ingeniously plotted tale of crime and corruption.
- Looks at compelling philosophical issues such as a feminist reading of Lisbeth Salander, Aristotelian arguments for why we love revenge, how Kant can explain why so many women sleep with Mikael Blomkvist, and many more
- Includes a chapter from a colleague of Larsson?s who worked with him in anti-Nazi activities that explores Larsson?s philosophical views on skepticism and quotes from never-before-seen correspondence with Larsson
- Offers new insights into the novels? key characters, including Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist, and investigates the author, Stieg Larsson
As engrossing as the quest to free Lisbeth Salander from her past, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy is ideal reading for anyone interested in unraveling the subtext and exploring the greater issues at work in the story.
- Comprehensive Handbook of Psychotherapy: 4 Volume Set
A Practical, Hands-on Reference for Professionals, Students and Researchers
Developed under the auspices of Dr. Florence W. Kaslow, one of the world?s best known experts in the field of psychotherapy, this ground-breaking work is the first and only reference to provide a detailed analysis of the four major psychotherapy approaches-in both theory and in practice.
Each expertly edited volume is organized by specific client populations: children, adolescents and young adults, adults, families and couples, and groups - allowing the reader to compare each approach and focus on those specific populations and approaches that suit their studies or practice.
Comprehensive yet practical, each volume addresses the major psychological and emotional disturbances that each psychotherapy approach is most effective in treating and provides realistic case examples that bring each approach to life - making this a truly hands-on reference for practitioners, students, and researchers.
Volume 1: Psychodynamic/Object Relations, Jeffrey J. Magnavita, PhD, Volume Editor, Connecticut Center for Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy
Volume 2: Cognitive-Behavioral Approaches, Terence Patterson, EdD, Volume Editor, University of San Francisco
Volume 3: Interpersonal / Humanistic / Existential, Robert F. Massey, PhD, and Sharon Davis Massey, PhD, Volume Editors, Seton Hall University
Volume 4: Integrative/Eclectic, Jay L. Lebow, PhD, Volume Editor, The Family Institute at Northwestern University
- The Complete Handbook of Science Fair Projects
Having trouble finding a science fair topic that?s both interesting to you and impressive to judges? Are you unsure about how to research, conduct, or present an experiment? Then look no further. This new edition of The Complete Handbook of Science Fair Projects is recognized in the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) rule book and written by a former science fair winner and judge. It?s your key to an award-winning project.
This bestselling, step-by-step guide contains detailed instructions for completing and submitting your project, as well as 50 project outlines of real award-winners. A new Foreword by a well-known science fair administrator covers the latest rules and protocols established by the ISEF. In addition, the book includes an expanded list of 400 ideas for science fair project topics, a list of ISEF affiliated fairs around the United States and the world, addresses and phone numbers for over 40 scientific supply companies, and the latest information on alternative science fair competitions.
Updated from cover to cover, The Complete Handbook of Science Fair Projects, Revised Edition has everything young scientist s in grades 7 and up need to create an award-winning science fair project.
By popular demand, a revised edition of the bestselling guide to creating award-winning science fair projects
The Complete Handbook of Science Fair Projects Revised Edition
"An excellent resource for students looking for ideas." Booklist
"Useful information and hints on how to design, conduct, and present a science project." School Library Journal
Written by a veteran contestant and judge, The Complete Handbook of Science Fair Projects, Revised Edition includes:
- 50 award-winning projects from actual science fairs including many completely new projects plus an expanded list of 400 workable science fair project topics suitable for grades 7 and up
- Straightforward, highly detailed guidelines for preparing a successful project from selecting the right topic to setup, materials, recording data, oral presentation, backboards, and much more
- An update of the ISEF rules and guidelines covered in a new Foreword by George Robert Wisner, Chairman and Fair Director of the Connecticut State Fair
- Timely, thorough, and user-friendly data throughout, including the latest information on resources and fair listings
The Complete Handbook of Science Fair Projects, Revised Edition is the only book you?ll need for creating a science fair experiment worthy of top honors.
Illustrations by Judy J. Bochinski-DiBiase
- Disciplined Dreaming: A Proven System to Drive Breakthrough Creativity
A 5-part process that will transform your organization or your career into a non-stop creativity juggernaut
We live in an era when business cycles are measured in months, not years. The only way to sustain long term innovation and growth is through creativity-at all levels of an organization. Disciplined Dreaming shows you how to create profitable new ideas, empower all your employees to be creative, and sustain your competitive advantage over the long term. Linkner distills his years of experience in business and jazz as well as hundreds of interviews with CEOs, entrepreneurs, and artists into a 5-step process that will make creativity easy for you and your organization. The methodology is simple, backed by proven results.
- Empowers individuals, teams, and organizations to meet creative challenges posed by the marketplace
- Turns the mystery of creativity into a simple-to-use process
- Shows how creativity can be used for everything from innovative, game-shifting breakthroughs to incremental advances and daily improvements to business processes
- Offers dozens of practical exercises, thought-starters, workouts to grow "creative muscles," and case studies
Disciplined Dreaming shows even the stuffiest corporate bureaucracies how to cultivate creativity in order to become more competitive in today?s shifting marketplace.
#4 New York Times Best Seller (Advice, How-To and Miscellaneous)
#8 New York Times Best Seller (Hardcover Business)
#2 Wall Street Journal Best Seller (Hardcover Business)
#9 Wall Street Journal Best Seller (Hardcover Nonfiction)
#9 Washington Post Best Seller (Hardcover Nonfiction)
#1 USA Today Best Seller (Money)
#10 Entertainment Weekly Best Seller (Hardcover Nonfiction)
#10 Publishers Weekly Bestseller (Hardcover Nonfiction)