- Resolving Conflicts at Work: Ten Strategies for Everyone on the Job
The classic text on resolving workplace conflicts, fully revised and updated
Resolving Conflicts at Work is a guide for preventing and resolving conflicts, miscommunications, and misunderstandings at work, including dozens of techniques for revealing how the inevitable disputes and divisions in the workplace are actually opportunities for greater creativity, productivity, enhanced morale, and personal growth. In the third edition of this text, all chapters are completely infused with additional content, updated examples, and new case studies. Like its predecessors, it identifies core strategies for preventing and resolving both intermittent and chronic conflicts in the workplace. In addition, the book
- Includes a new foreword by Warren Bennis, which represents his most recent thinking about judgment calls and candid communications in the workplace
- Presents new chapters on leadership and transformational conflict coaching, and organizational systems design
This definitive and comprehensive work provides a handy guide for managers, employees, union representatives, human resource experts, and consultants seeking to maintain stable and productive workplaces.
- Analysis of Health Surveys
How to apply statistical methods to survey data--a guide to effective analysis of health surveys.
With large health surveys becoming increasingly available for public use, researchers with little experience in survey methods are often faced with analyzing data from surveys to address scientific and programmatic questions. This practical book provides statistical techniques for use in survey analysis, making health surveys accessible to statisticians, biostatisticians, epidemiologists, and health researchers. The authors clearly explain the theory and methods of survey analysis along with real-world applications. They draw on their work at the National Institutes of Health as well as up-to-date information from across the literature to present:
* The sampling background necessary to understand health surveys.
* The application of such techniques as t-tests, linear regression, logistic regression, and survival analysis to survey data.
* The use of sample weights in survey data analysis.
* Dealing with complications in variance estimation in large health surveys.
* Applications involving cross-sectional, longitudinal, and multiple cross-sectional surveys, and the use of surveys to perform population- based case-control analyses.
* Guidance on the correct use of statistical methods found in software packages.
* Extensive bibliography.
- Stochastic Processes, Estimation, and Control: The Entropy Approach
The first new introduction to stochastic processes in 20 years incorporates a modern, innovative approach to estimation and control theory
Stochastic Processes, Estimation, and Control: The Entropy Approach provides a comprehensive, up-to-date introduction to stochastic processes, together with a concise review of probability and system theory. Serving both as a text for graduate courses in control and systems engineering and as a guide for the practicing engineer and researcher, the book applies the most recent advances in stochastic and probabilistic processes to such areas as communications systems and robotics technology.
Highlights of this outstanding text:
- Uses the thermodynamic principle of entropy as a tool with which to measure and analyze uncertainty in systems a feature unique to this text
- Covers basic material on stochastic processes, parameter and state estimation and control with a novel approach that does not require advanced mathematics
- Introduces an original approach to the design of nonlinear stochastic control that converges sequentially to the optimal a practical method that will be particularly appealing to the practicing engineer
- Reformulates the stochastic estimation and control problem from a global point of view and introduces entropy as the entity that defines control theory as an energy product a groundbreaking approach
Since the early 18th century, scientists have devised probability measures to help them describe uncertain phenomena and approximate the actual laws of nature. It was not until the advent of the computer, however, that stochastic processes have made it possible to approximate the uncertainty inherent in large complex systems. The miracles of space exploration, modern defense systems, and artificial intelligence are just a few of the dramatic advances that have come about due to the ability of the modern digital computer to perform massive probabilistic calculations.
In this, the first introductory book on stochastic processes in twenty years, leading theoretician George Saridis provides a modern innovative approach that applies the most recent advances in probabilistic processes to such areas as communications and robotics technology.
Stochastic Processes, Estimation, and Control: The Entropy Approach is designed as a text for graduate courses in dynamic programming and stochastic control, stochastic processes, or applied probability in the engineering or mathematical/computational science departments, and as a guide for the practicing engineer and researcher. It offers a lucid discussion of parameter estimation based on least square techniques, an in-depth investigation of the estimation of the states of a stochastic linear and nonlinear dynamic system, and a modified derivation of the linear-quadratic Gaussian optimal control problem. Professor Saridis?s presentation of estimation and control theory is thorough, but avoids the use of advanced mathematics. A new theory of approximation of the optimal solution for nonlinear stochastic systems is presented as a general engineering tool, and the whole area of stochastic processes, estimation, and control is recast using entropy as a measure.
Stochastic Processes, Estimation, and Control: The Entropy Approach is the first book to apply the thermodynamic principle of entropy to the measurement and analysis of uncertainty in systems. Its new reformulation takes an important first step toward a unified approach to the theory of intelligent machines, where artificial intelligence and system theory come together.
- Comprehensive Handbook of Psychotherapy: 4 Volume Set
A Practical, Hands-on Reference for Professionals, Students and Researchers
Developed under the auspices of Dr. Florence W. Kaslow, one of the world?s best known experts in the field of psychotherapy, this ground-breaking work is the first and only reference to provide a detailed analysis of the four major psychotherapy approaches-in both theory and in practice.
Each expertly edited volume is organized by specific client populations: children, adolescents and young adults, adults, families and couples, and groups - allowing the reader to compare each approach and focus on those specific populations and approaches that suit their studies or practice.
Comprehensive yet practical, each volume addresses the major psychological and emotional disturbances that each psychotherapy approach is most effective in treating and provides realistic case examples that bring each approach to life - making this a truly hands-on reference for practitioners, students, and researchers.
Volume 1: Psychodynamic/Object Relations, Jeffrey J. Magnavita, PhD, Volume Editor, Connecticut Center for Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy
Volume 2: Cognitive-Behavioral Approaches, Terence Patterson, EdD, Volume Editor, University of San Francisco
Volume 3: Interpersonal / Humanistic / Existential, Robert F. Massey, PhD, and Sharon Davis Massey, PhD, Volume Editors, Seton Hall University
Volume 4: Integrative/Eclectic, Jay L. Lebow, PhD, Volume Editor, The Family Institute at Northwestern University
- Managing Assertively: How to Improve Your People Skills: A Self-Teaching Guide
A proven program for increasing your management skills
Managing Assertively has helped tens of thousands of businesspeople become more effective managers by sharpening their people skills. Leading management trainer Madelyn Burley-Allen shows you how you, too, can learn to resolve conflicts and defuse interpersonal problems that invariably arise at work. Her step-by-step techniques, clear examples, and competence-building exercises will immediately improve your supervisory skills, sharpen your self-awareness, and make you a more confident, assertive manager. You?ll learn how to:
* Use eight building blocks to become a more effective manager
* Overcome self-defeating behavior
* Handle criticism to maintain and enhance self-esteem
* State limits and expectations to clarify assignments
* Become a more effective listener
* Receive and give positive feedback to enhance team building
* Handle conflict, stress, personal problems, and a wide range of other difficult on-the-job situations
* By following the user-friendly, interactive, self-teaching format, you can work at your own pace as you master management essentials.